List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Odd requirement for KDE data directories (KStandardDirs::kde_default)
From:       Albert Chin <kde-devel () mlists ! thewrittenword ! com>
Date:       2006-01-23 18:08:49

We're building KDE 3.4.3 for a customer and they require shared
application data installed to a separate directory and shared across
all the platforms we build KDE for (think NFS install). So, KDE will
be installed into architecture-dependent and architecture-independent
directories. The hierarchy looks like:
  /opt/kde343/bin
  /opt/kde343/doc
  /opt/kde343/lib
  /opt/kde343/man
  /opt/kde343/share -> /opt/share

Based on how KStandardDirs::kde_default is set up, under /opt/share,
we would have:
  /opt/share/apps
  /opt/share/doc/HTML
  /opt/share/icons
  /opt/share/config
  /opt/share/pixmap

This is easy enough to do with --prefix=/opt/kde343. However, we also
need to support multiple versions of KDE. This give us:
  /opt/kde343/bin
  /opt/kde343/doc
  /opt/kde343/lib
  /opt/kde343/man
  /opt/kde343/share -> /opt/share
  /opt/kde351/bin
  /opt/kde351/doc
  /opt/kde351/lib
  /opt/kde351/man
  /opt/kde351/share -> /opt/share

Now we have a problem. Both KDE 3.4.3, installed to /opt/kde343, and
KDE 3.5.1, installed to /opt/kde351, will install files to /opt/share.
We'd like the KDE 3.4.3 share files in a separate directory and KDE
3.5.1 share files in a separate directory. We could solve this by:
  /opt/share/kde343/apps
  /opt/share/kde343/doc/HTML
  /opt/share/kde343/icons
  /opt/share/kde343/config
  /opt/share/kde343/pixmap
  /opt/share/kde351/apps
  /opt/share/kde351/doc/HTML
  /opt/share/kde351/icons
  /opt/share/kde351/config
  /opt/share/kde351/pixmap

Then we'd change "share/" in the KDE source code with either
"share/kde343/" or "share/kde351/". This causes a problem though in
that the same share directory hierarchy is mirrored under
~/.kde/share. Because of the source code change, we'd have
~/.kde/share/kde343 and ~/.kde/share/kde351. We'd like to have a
KDE-specific share directory in /opt/share/kde# for versions of KDE
installed to /opt/kde# but a generic share directory in ~/.kde for
users.

Is this possible? What's the easiest way to achieve it?

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)