List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE / Embedded
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-15 23:17:31

On Saturday 14 January 2006 00:55, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> 1) gnome is a pile of steaming piss.

First of all, we don't want to read this kind of statements on this list. We
respect the work of other people, especially when it's work on the free
desktop.

> putting e.g. Kontact, which would be _great_, onto a 320x480 screen,
> is likely to be... how to say... problematic? :)
>
> has anyone got any ideas?

Have a look at KOrganizer/Embedded or the KO/Pi and KA/Pi version of
KOrganizer and KAddressbook. It's not that difficult to adapt our apps to a
smaller screen. It needs some changes in the code, but in most cases it's
possible to do this in a clean way, e.g. by adding hidding configuration
options which switch between small and big versions of a dialog and similar
stuff.

> who should be approached to say "when developing your app, please take
> into account that some people will shrink it to 320x480 and still
> expect it to be useable!"

You should approach the person who is using the app on a small screen (it
might be yourself). This kind of code has to be maintained and you can't put
the burden on the shoulders of the people who don't use it.