List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Track time spent on desktop
From:       Stefan Horomnea <stefan () softexperience ! biz>
Date:       2006-01-14 17:58:12

Hello,

I think a great idea for enterprise and personal use might be an
automatically tracking time program for the tasks spent on desktop.

Do you know such a program free or commercial - for KDE ?

Something like:
Task X (you define name here)
- window1 title xseconds
- window2 title xseconds

And group the little tasks to bigger tasks and all this to be tracked
automatically. Basically I want the Spherical Timesheet
(sphericaltech.com) but for Linux. If you are really interested to see
what I'm talking about, download a trial version for windows, in my
opinion it's an amazing program.

Or if this program doesn't exist, can you give me an ideea how to make
some "poor's man tracking system".... for example some desktop activity
log or using DCOP so I can see what windows are focused when they are
maximized/minimized, what is the time they have been used, detect the
idle time, what are the windows titles, and maybe export it to a
database and make some stats.

If this doesn't exist, do you think it is a good ideea to start one ?
Basically this tells a normal desktop user how many hours he works, and
in detail how many seconds for each little activity.

Thanks,
Stefan