List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Debian, KDE and the GFDL problem
From:       Alejandro Exojo <suy () kurly ! org>
Date:       2006-01-08 11:25:02

El Sábado, 7 de Enero de 2006 22:55, Brad Hards escribió:> On Sunday 08 January 2006 \
01:43 am, Michael Pyne wrote:> > Huh?  From the section in question [1], a \
distribution can state in the> > Opaque copy where the Transparent copy can be \
obtained by a member of the> > network-using public, using public-standard network \
protocols.  The> > distribution also needs to make reasonably prudent steps to ensure \
that> > the Transparent copy is available there one year after the Opaque copy is> > \
no longer distributed.  But nowhere does it say the end-user must have> > the \
Transparent copy if they have the Opaque.>> There is no point in trying to argue \
about this from a logical point of> view.  Why?
> "Gnu FDL isn't free" is a matter of belief amongst the more fervent > members of \
> the Debian community. However it is their choice what they ship.
I'm not a Debian Developer, but I can consider myself a member of the community, \
because I use it, I like it, and I try to help as much as I can. I don't think is a \
matter of "belief". I'm not a lawyer, but after reading the license, I really think \
that some parts of the license are just ambiguous or unclear, and this can lead to \
legal problem in some countries. As Isaac explained, the "verbatim copying" section \
is problematic, because I can be breaking the license if I put the document in a \
password protected intranet, or attach it in a encrypted email. And this is just \
because that part is written in a brief way, without specifying details that might be \
important. I don't think that the license isn't free in spirit, of course.
-- Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2http://barnacity.net/ - Jabber ID: \