List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: One Way to Increase KDE security
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2005-12-27 19:24:30

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 20:06, Dave Feustel wrote:

> I had the feeling that I was being toyed with and that I was *supposed* to
> notice the changes. I consider it quite possible that my system is rooted
> and the rooter is concealing well the fact that he actually has root
> access. On the other hand, this is OpenBSD, not Linux, so maybe the
> intruder only has access to my computer via Xorg to an Xsession. It's an
> open question right now.

Uh, hello ? Unless your machine is exposing all its IP ports to the Net and
you've disabled X access control, to gain access to X the intruder would have
to gain access to the machine itself first, and then he wouldn't care about X
very much, because since you said it's a single-user system, the only two
kind of accesses he could have would either be your normal user (in which
case running a X spying client is trivial), or root (in which case he has
full access to your machine anyway).

Forgive me for being blunt, but you sound like you have no idea whatsoever on
how that hypothetical intruder could ever have gained access to your machine,
nor about computer security in general.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org