List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: One Way to Increase KDE security
From:       Guillaume Laurent <glaurent () telegraph-road ! org>
Date:       2005-12-27 17:28:28

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 17:57, Dave Feustel wrote:
> One of the big clues that I have an intruder in my system was that the
> permissions I was applying to those devices kept getting changed again
> after I set restricted permissions.

Is that the only indication you have about this ? On mandrake you have
security scripts which are run daily or even hourly and reset permissions on
most "sensitive" files, are you sure you're not seeing the same kind of
stuff ? I'd check your system logs first.

For what it's worth, I've had a linux machine rooted once (with the
'tornkit'). Believe me when I tell you that this kind of thing goes to a very
great length to hide itself. In short, you will *not* detect them simply by
seeing some permission changes. So I find it very unlikely that some cracker
would be cunning enough to crack an openBSD machine only to let himself be
detected so easily.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org