List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: One Way to Increase KDE security
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-12-27 15:21:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 27 December 2005 14:35, Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 December 2005 06:19, David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 27 December 2005 03:05, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > > Delete all kde/Xorg sockets in /tmp everytime KDE exits.
> >
> > Can you please stop making up facts about "security" every day on this
> > list? It wouldn't be so annoying if it actually made sense...
>
> I didn't make this up. I have seen (network) sockets created that had no

I think David meant that "deleting unused sockets increases security" is made
up, because a socket which no one uses is obviously not a security threat.

> including sockets, every time kde shuts down. I do this now even during the
> kde session if I suddenly start having problems.

You can easily do that by either adding appropriate commands to startkde or
using a shutdown script.
You can also use environment variables to control where temporary files and
sockets are created, for example somewhere below the user's home directory.

> I also would like an option for kde's forgetting about sessions at
> shutdown. IE kde starts with no remembered sessions each time it restarts.

I think the option to start with an empty session has been available since
very early KDE3 versions.

> I would also like to be able to increase the amount of information reported
> in error messages. I get a lot of error messages when I crash kde and I
> infer things from the nature of the errors reported. More info would help
> me distinguish between proper and improper activity. This is easy for me
> since my computer is a single-user system and all messages should be
> related to things *I* am doing on the system.

You could try to enable all debug areas using kdebugdialog.

Cheers,
Kevin

--
Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer@gmx.at>