List:       kde-devel
Subject:    UI files not being processed before compile
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2005-12-21 17:57:14

Hello,

We're in the process of porting KStars over to KDE4, and we've come across an
odd problem.  We have a large number of UI files in our main source code
directory (kdeedu/kstars/kstars).  Most of these have been updated for KDE4,
but there are some we haven't gotten to yet (these were created with designer
from Qt-3.x, and hence they are processed with uic3).

The odd part is that when running unsermake, the UI files that still use uic3
get processed before any source code compilation is attempted, but the
updated UI files do not get processed ahead of compilation.  This is a
problem, because it first tries to compile in the "widgets" subdirectory,
which has a (perhaps misguided) dependence on a uic-generated header file in
the main directory.  Of course, this header doesn't exist yet, so the compile
fails.

My question is, shouldn't all of the UI files be processed together,
regardless of whether they use uic or uic3?  Preferably, I would think that
they should all be processed before any actual code is compiled.

Have I missed something?  Is there something I need to add to my Makefile.am
to make sure all UI files get processed prior to any compiling?

thanks,
Jason