List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Environment variable setters/getters?
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-20 14:02:55

Am Montag, 19. Dezember 2005 14:14 schrieb Angus Leeming:
> Are there any K (or Q) wrappers for getenv, setenv/putenv?
> ([GS]etEnvironmentVariable on Windows). I can't see any but I'm likely
> looking in the wrong place ;-)
>
> For info, I attach the implementation I've been using in QDVI
> (http://sourceforge.net/projects/qdvi/).
>
> Thoughts? Perhaps it should be turned into a class?
Hmm, we overwrite setenv on platforms where it's not available, so all KDE
applications can simply use setenv/getenv. And I think your local8Bit() calls
are wrong at times. Sometimes the environment variables are defined in their
encoding.

The only part that I consider worth a wrapper is the PATH splitting part, but
that should only be done in KStandardDirs an apps use that. Qdvi doesn't use
KDE libraries, so it has different problems than KDE apps.

Greetings, Stephan