List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Missing header files in installed libraries
From:       David Jarvie <lists () astrojar ! org ! uk>
Date:       2005-12-18 14:07:53

On Friday 16 December 2005 00:06, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> David Jarvie wrote:
> >Why are some header files such as kcalendarsystemgregorian.h not
> > installed by the kdelibs 3.5 build? (They are in the noinst_HEADERS
> > section of kdecore/Makefile.am.) I want to use KCalendarSystemGregorian
> > in an application - how am I supposed to do this?
>
> Because those files are not public headers. You're not supposed to use
> stuff that is in them, because they may change incompatibly.
>
> If you have a good reason to use them, write to the author or
> kde-core-devel@kde.org and describe the problem. Maybe we'll together
> come to the conclusion that the header ought to be public.

What I was wanting to use the header for was simply to get translations of day
and month names. Using KGlobal::locale()->calendar() is not suitable, since I
need to use January, February, etc. or the application won't work. Perhaps
there is an alternative way of retrieving these translations, without adding
them as translatable strings in the application?

--
David Jarvie.
KAlarm author and maintainer.