List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: minimum kde startup
From:       Dave Feustel <dfeustel () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2005-12-18 11:43:22

On Sunday 18 December 2005 06:34, David Faure wrote:
> On Sunday 18 December 2005 00:35, Dave Feustel wrote:

> > > Sorry, but this isn't true. I have been installing KDE as non-root for... 8 years now,
> > > and it always worked fine.
> > > The only exceptions are
> > > - kppp needs to be suid root
> > > - kdesud needs to be sgid root (to remember the pass iirc, but it works without)
> > > - kcheckpass needs to be sgid root to be able to unlock the screen
> >
> > I have a problem with klickety and kmines:
> > /home/daf}kmines
> > The KDE libraries are not designed to run with suid privileges.
> > /home/daf}klickety
> > The KDE libraries are not designed to run with suid privileges.
> >
> > /home/daf}(cd /usr/local/bin; ls -l klickety kmines)
> > -rwxr-sr-x  1 root  bin  147716 Sep  4 05:40 klickety
> > -rwxr-sr-x  1 root  bin  240228 Sep  4 05:40 kmines
> > /home/daf}
>
> Those are games, why should they be suid root?

That's exactly what I have been wondering.

> They shouldn't be, and the "kde libraries" even say so when running them.
> Did you make them suid root, or did "make install" do that?

I did not do that. I found these files by accident while looking for moc and
uic in /usr/local/bin. The openBSD port changes the names of these programs
to moc3 and uic3 with the result that configure for KDE apps fails for not
finding uic and moc. I fixed them in order to build K3b, but there seem to be
a few Linux dependencies in the K3b source code which causes make to fail.

--
Lose, v., experience a loss, get rid of, "lose the weight"
Loose, adj., not tight, let go, free, "loose clothing"