List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Alternative to traditional (virtual) desktop: The Strip
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2005-12-11 23:05:48

Dne neděle 11 prosinec 2005 13:32 Janne Ojaniemi napsal(a):> On Saturday 10 December \
2005 15:35, Lubos Lunak wrote:> >Your mail, just like the others in this> > thread, \
lacks one important thing that prevented KDE from being yet> > another long-forgotten \
something from the 90's - something along the> > lines of "I will work on it".>> \
Speaking for myself here: I'm not a coder. I couldn't code my way out of an> empty \
room if I had to. Does that mean that my suggestions are less valid?  No. It just \
means that unless you find somebody to make it reality it'll remain to be a \
suggestion. That may be a subtle detail or a big problem depending on how lucky \
you'll be.
> > If it's just accidentally missing, you are welcome to> > join kwin@kde.org . If \
> > not, then just submit your wish at bugs.kde.org> > and wait until the kwin team \
> > gets to it.>> I thought about doing that, yes. But I decided to first find out \
> > what other> thought of the idea. Healthy discussion is a good thing, and I think \
> > this> place has better potential for that than bugs.kde.org. After the idea has> \
> > been refined, it could be submitted to b.k.o.
 Hmm, ok, feel free to discuss it. Nobody is stopping you. It's just that since this \
is kde-devel there's probably a better place if you want to just discuss it.
> > Anybody> > can have ideas, but they don't magically become reality, somebody has \
> > to> > write and maintain that. Sorry for spoiling the fun, but that's the way> > \
> > it is.>> I don't think anyone here has said "I want this feature NOW! Get coding \
> > you> lazy bastards!". It was more like a "Here's a nifty idea, what do you guys> \
> > think? Could something like this be done?". No-one is expecting this> feature to \
> > magically appear from thin air.
 And I don't think I said "No way you're going to get the feature, forget it and shut \
up!". It was more like a "regardless of how nifty an idea, the only guy actively \
working these days on things like this already does a lousy job of just maintaining \
what is already there". In fact I didn't say anything about the feature itself in the \
previous mail.
> Or should I intrepet your mail so that only those who can code are allowed> to have \
> ideas and suggestions? If some non-coder makes a suggestion, the> suggestion should \
> be ignored. And only coders can discuss things.
 Relax.
> If that is the way you feel, then I'm afraid that KDE will remain "designed> by \
> coders, for coders"-desktop, and we can forget about "conquering the> \
> desktop"-thingy, since 99% of people are not coders. How do coders know how> \
> non-coders use their computers? Are coders experts in usability and look &> feel? \
> I'm not saying that I'm an expert on those fields, but fact remains> that coders \
> know code. But that doesn't mean that they know every other> thing as well inside \
> out. And just because someone is not a coder does not> mean that their suggestions \
> should be ignored.
 I intentionally used "work" and not any form of "code" in "I will work on it". I \
have here half-done documentation of KWin's window-specific settings that I still \
haven't finished because I'm really bad at this stuff. Feel like helping with that?
> Designing a modern GUI requires cooperation from several groups. Coders are> just \
> one of them. But I can't help but feel that in KDE and open source in> general, the \
> coders are the one who make decisions, while others play> second fiddle. Regardless \
> of the fact that their input would be just as> important in the grand scheme of \
> things.
 Coders may be just one of the groups but, whether you, me or whoever else like it or \
not, they are the most important. Anybody can make suggestions, but only coders can \
make most of them reality. This, together with the fact that a project always has \
coders and the fact that coders may have to do even other things because the project \
may not have enough other groups, may be a reason for the second fiddle situation. If \
you don't like it, put a "life sucks" sticker somewhere visible.  I would love to at \
least try your suggestion. Just like I would love to try thousands of other things. \
You're free to do whatever you want with your suggestion. I just wanted to tell you \
                that you'll eventually need a coder.
CR, s.r.o.  e-mail: l.lunak@suse.cz , l.lunak@kde.orgDrahobejlova 27  tel: +420 2 \
9654 2373190 00 Praha 9   fax: +420 2 9654 2374Czech Republic   http://www.suse.cz/ \