List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: C++ exceptions
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-07 16:15:05

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Volker Lukas wrote:
>Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>> So, my recommendation stays: do not let exceptions propagate to inside
>> the Qt libraries and, even more so, the KDE libraries. Doing so could
>> cause problems for you later.
>
>With Qt, it could only cause problems later if Trolltech decided to
> degrade there product to not be exception-safe at that later time.

You did not understand what I meant:

Qt is exception-safe only if compiled with -fexceptions. That is the
default.

But since it doesn't use exceptions on its own, it can be compiled with
-fno-exceptions to save space (what I said before: the exception table in
libQtCore.so is larger than libglib.so entirely).

So you can expect people to compile it with -fno-exceptions. If you write
applications that rely on exceptions being enabled in Qt, you'll be
shooting yourself in the foot. Don't do that.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

2. Tó cennan his weorc gearu, ymbe se circolwyrde, wearð se cægbord and se
leohtspeccabord, and þa mýs cómon lator. On þone dæg, he hine reste.