List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: compression in kio_http
From:       Tommi =?utf-8?q?M=C3=A4kitalo?= <tommi () tntnet ! org>
Date:       2005-12-07 13:51:05

Am Dienstag, 6. Dezember 2005 20:29 schrieb Dirk Mueller:> On Sunday 04 December 2005 \
19:24, Tommi Mäkitalo wrote:> > http://hal.circle-of-art.de:8000/hello> > This works \
with firefox, but not with konqueror.>> Wow, thats a horribly broken web server. \
First of all it doesn't server a> gzip header, and second it forgets the trailing \
CRC. With other words, the> data served is invalid.Hi, I'm the author of the web \
server. The compression is a new experimental feature. Firefox works with this, but \
konqueror does not. And I started this discussion, because I want to know, who is \
wrong. I'm not quite sure. There are different encodings: gzip and deflate. Gzip has \
a gzip-header and deflate has not. That's how kio_http is coded (or at least tried). \
The specs are not that clear, if I need a (different) header for deflate. The \
webserver tells to use deflate, but not gzip. I have not implemented gzip yet (and \
until now I don't know, why I should - gzip looks like deflate with a header and CRC, \
which bloats the body, what I try to optimize). I think, that it would be broken, if \
tntnet would tell to use gzip and not to send gzip-headers and CRC, but tntnet tells \
to use deflate. Tommi >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub \
to unsubscribe <<