List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: C++ exceptions
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-04 20:15:32

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Jonas Widarsson wrote:
>I've learned that there is some kind of decision made for KDE to not use
>exceptions.

No.

KDE libraries don't use exceptions unnecessarily. KDE programs are fully
free to use them if they want.

>I am working on two projects at the moment. One parser library that I
> will use exceptions in, and one sound application that uses KDE and
> jack.
>
>I read about exceptions and like to use them in my KDE app to, but first
> I'd like to hear the primary reasons why KDE didn't like exceptions.

1) increase in code size
2) with some compilers, decrease in performance

Recently, on the thread about event loop integration, I posted a few
numbers. The size of QtCore's (Qt4) exception tables was larger than the
full of libglib.
    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

4. And æfter se scieppend ingelogode, he wrát "cenn", ac eala! se
rihtendgesamnung andswarode "cenn: ne wát hú cennan 'eall'. Ástynt."