List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: kde linux media... cd-roms, flash disks
From:       "Michal Vaner \(Vorner\)" <michal.vaner () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-12-04 19:48:11

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 04 December 2005 20:09, David Johnson wrote:
> On Sunday 04 December 2005 01:38 am, Maurizio Colucci wrote:
> > Are the unmounting problems present in FreeBSD or not?
>
> The "problems" are present in any Unix or Unix like system.
>
> But it's not a bug, it's a feature. Imagine you've booted up with a live
> CD of Mepis or Kubuntu, and decide to unmount the CD. What should
> happen? Should you be allowed to yank out the running operating system?
> That's an extreme example, so let's try a different, more realistic
> one. Imagine you're still using a live CD, and are keeping your home
> directory on a flash drive. Should you then be able to yank out the
> drive at will? Or a trivially common example: should you be able to
> unmount the file system containing the document you are currently
> editing?
>
> Sorry to be trite, but this isn't a bug, it's a feature. There are ways
> to make the system behave more gracefully when someone yanks out a
> mounted filesystem by mistake (like treating removal media more like
> NFS mounts than SCSI mounts), but the restrictions on unmounting need
> to remain.
>
> The user may be king, but in the modern world we've learned to place
> restrictions on our kings. Sometimes you just need to tell the user
> "no!" Unmounting a drive with open files is as wrong as shifting an
> automobile into reverse while cruising down the freeway. I shudder to
> think of what the world would be like if Microsoft made automobiles...

Right, but it should (in KDE) tell you that you have opened files, what
application is that using them, and, maybe, preloaded konqueror should
release the directories and not keep them opened even if has all it's windows
closed.

However, there could be some kind of unsafe button, like "unmount anyway, it
may cause real problems" or "kill everything accesing it". Sometimes, I get
angry and 'cdrecord -eject' my CD as well, even if the system is still
mounted.

--

Windows are like..
windows. Shiny but fragile and expensive.

Michal Vaner (Vorner)