List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Interesting ps -ax listing
From:       Dave Feustel <dfeustel () mindspring ! com>
Date:       2005-11-30 15:40:38

On Wednesday 30 November 2005 10:28, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 November 2005 13:49, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > >
> > > If a process detaches from the terminal, it will survive. Another way
> > > is using nohup(1).
> > >
> > > If kde leaves processes hanging around, it looks like a bug in kde.
>
> Except that any program with an X connection dies when the X connection
> goes away. But maybe logging out on Dave's system doesn't really kill X?

Note I am using neither xdm nor kdm for logins. I login in console mode and
then run startkde. In this case I had first logged out of kde by clicking on
the "logout" item in the kde menu (which dropped me to console mode) and then
doing an exit.

The old user process that was still running after logging in with the new user
id was a 'kicker' process.