List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Transferring kde settings to new kde environment
From:       Sascha Cunz <sascha.cunz () tiscali ! de>
Date:       2005-11-29 20:30:08

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 21:18, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 November 2005 15:08, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:43, Dave Feustel wrote:
> > > I'm almost through upgrading from OpenBSD 3.7 to
> > > OpenBSD 3.8. The upgrade has gone smoothly, except
> > > for installing kmail. In my case I always change disk
> > > drives for the new install so that, if necessary, I can go
> > > back to the old drive and the old system.
> > >
> > > Is there any way to transfer easily all the kde/kmail
> > > settings from one kde system (3.3.x on the old disk)
> > > to a newly installed kde system (3.4.2 on a new disk)?
> >
> > Of course there is.
> >
> > If you're storing all your mail in a local directory rather than fetching
> > it via IMAP or DIMAP, by default in the directory "~/Mail", all your
> > E-Mails are stored. Copy this one to your new system.
>
> The mail directory is not a problem for me.
>
> > Your settings are just a bit harder to find: Usually ~/.kde or any
> > similar thing is the base for your kde config. There you'll find the file
> > share/config/kmailrc. This one contains all your mail account settings
> > and filters. Unless you're using a KWallet, even your passwords are
> > stored there.
>
> So I need to copy the old .kde directory tree over to the new disk and put
> it in the user's home directory?

Yes, copying seems the right way for you.

> > Further, usually upgrading the config in .kde works flawless. I still
> > have some .kde directories from 3.0 around that i use with 3.5 :)
>
> How is this done when the old settings are on a disk not accessible
> from the new kde?

Well,
i "mount server:/export/homes /home", so i don't have that problem :)

But generelly, KDE Devs are most of the time smart enough to keep old apps
working even with new configs and vice versa. So exchanging a config dir
(.kde) from 3.x with 3.y where x != y is no problem most of the time...

I even use the complete same config on very much differing systems... The only
App that usually bothers me is Amor - because it stores an absoulte path into
the KDE installation dir. But hey, it's Amor, nothing that much important -
and i just need it to impress my kids with the cat walking over the
screen :-)

Sascha