List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Problem with KDE3.5 and Audacity
From:       Pavel Troller <patrol () sinus ! cz>
Date:       2005-11-28 5:15:45

Hi!
  Thanks for KDE3.5! I've successfully compiled it yesterday and it really
ROCKZ!!!
  However, I wanted to use it for my everyday's life and I was a bit
disappointed because I've discovered a big problem.
  It is very strange. I'm using Audacity to grab audio track from cassettes/
vinyls etc. and making wavs/mp3s from them. The problem is that when I start
audacity in KDE 3.5 and then switch desktops forth and back (which is my
standard behaviour, I'm using 12 desktops very intensively :-) ), the system
becomes very unresponsive and CPU load goes to very high values. Running top
discovers that X server eats almost all the CPU cycles. Even a dual machine
with 2x Athlon MP 1800+ cannot handle this and the recording becomes unusable
because of buffer overruns.
  This CPU overload terminates only by quitting Audacity. After that, all
returns to normal. Switching to text console also temporarily frees the CPU
but switching back to X restores the overload condition.
  I was doing this work regularly under KDE 3.4.x and I've never encountered
such a problem.
  Could it be some interaction of kwin with audacity ? Did something change in
kwin from 3.4 days ?
  Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have any idea how to discover
more about the problem.
                       With regards, Pavel Troller