List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: SUSE installs of my app defaulting to '/usr/local/kde/' instead
From:       Kevin Krammer <kevin.krammer () gmx ! at>
Date:       2005-11-20 19:39:58

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 20 November 2005 14:09, robert wrote:
> The default install directory in the build scripts for my app is
> '/usr/local/kde' - this is what the templates in kdevelop give. As I
> understand it, the build scripts will try to find the 'real' location of
> kde (through $KDEDIR ?) and if it can't find anything will use the default.
> My own kde install is in /opt/kde and the build works correctly for me.

It shouldn't actually default to the location of the main KDE installation.
This is to prevent messing with files controlled by the distributions package
system,  no program other then the packager manager should install files
there.

Of course it is still possible to do it, using --prefix as the other poster
said.
But anyone using that should be aware that it might break the system as
installed by binary packages.

A cleaner approach is to extend the KDEDIRS variable to include the additional
prefix.

Cheers,
Kevin
--