List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: need this in KDE mime magic file
From:       Boudewijn Rempt <boud () valdyas ! org>
Date:       2005-11-12 12:21:34

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 12 November 2005 00:30, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Saturday 29 October 2005 17:32, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > > ... if I come to the same conclusion?
> >
> > Same conclusion? :-)
>
> Hmm, I'm not convinced. Those *are* tiff files after all, no?

No, not in the sense that any ordinary tiff reader could read them. They just
share some characteristics, but to make images out of .raw files, you need to
do some complicated stuff. No tiff reader, no client of the common tiff
library will be able to do that. These images need to be handled with dcraw
or a derivatice of dcraw.

Currently, I have to special-case my tiff filter for files with extensions
like .cr2 or .dng and then call my raw filter from my tiff filter.

For all practical purposes (i.e., writing code that doesn't surprise users),
it's necessary to make a distinction between an ordinary tiff file and a raw
file. All raw files, whether tiff-like or not need to be handled the same
way, and that way is different from the way one would handle tiff files.

--
Boudewijn Rempt
http://www.valdyas.org/fading/index.cgi