List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Best Practices or Design Patterns for Error Handling in KDE
From:       Benjamin Reed <rangerrick () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-11-06 14:31:53

On 11/6/05, Stephan Kulow <coolo@kde.org> wrote:

> increased binary size _is_ a performance penalty I'm afraid ;(

Funny, I just got an e-mail the other day saying increased size
*improves* performance!  ;)

I can tell you that at least on Mac OS X 10.3 and older (well, Apple's
gcc 3.3 and older) exceptions have a lot of problems.  I still have to
disable the KDevelop java support in my fink packages because it's
basically uncompilable on OSX.

OSX is also very touchy about binary size, Apple generally compiles
their stuff with -Os -- it generally gives better performance than
-O2, presumably because of the (slow) dynamic loader.