List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE Database
From:       Christian Leh <moodwrod () web ! de>
Date:       2005-11-05 13:21:30

Hi,
last night something came up to my mind (just an idea):

currently all settings of kde are stored in .rc files which gives us real
advantages:
- easy backup (mostly manually, but it works)
- easy editing
- simple usage
- ...

but sometimes i want to store any settings of any kde app which i've
installed. i'm not talking about style settings an so on. therefore we have
the theme manager (i've never used it ;)), but it could be used for that too.

so what would be, if there (i.e. KConfig) were two ways to store settings:
- files
- database (A way of synchronizing must be given, i.e. the database is down)

the clue is that the entries have to be dated which means every "key=value"
pair has a start date and an end date.

now, when i want to store my current settings, i just put a date (today) into
another table (or wherever) which holds these "backups". that would be
everything need to be done.

this date (startdate <= date <= enddate).

another advantage would be that u can set up a settings anywhere from where
anyone can load his app settings (maybe in a company u can do this, also to
prevent them to be changed by users). some kind of roles can handle that.

or imagine u go to work and synchronize your settings from home.
now u can use your kde like at home without copying any configurations

there are still some aspects that have to be resolved:
- a cache (loading settings everytime from db is not acceptable)
- compatibility to existing apps / implementation in KConfig?!
- growing of database (only last 5 changes or something)
- what about app data files (i.e. kopete styles/smileys)

maybe this could also be blown up to a KDE database which is not only
responsible for loading settings.

i've still more in my mind but for the moment this should be enough.
please tell me what u think about something like that (remember, just an idea)
if you have any questions, ask .. maybe this message is a little bit
confusing :)

greets from germany

Christian "moodwrod" Leh