List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Kdevdevelop editor
From:       Bram Biesbrouck <b () beligum ! org>
Date:       2005-11-03 16:17:01

Op donderdag 3 november 2005 16:58, schreef Andreas Pakulat:
> On 04.11.05 00:29:19, Hamish Rodda wrote:
> > On Thursday 03 November 2005 23:26, Bram Biesbrouck wrote:
> > > I'm new to the list, so let me introduce myself. My name is Bram
> > > Biesbrouck, I'm from Belgium and currently, I'm developing a screen
> > > recording program for KDE using the rfb protocol.
> > > My project is about halfway. The library is coming on very well, and I
> > > wrote the GUI-basics. I'm having a problem that is listed a few times
> > > before, but after two days of intensive searching and reading, I
> > > couldn't find a solution.
> > > When I design a GUI in KDevDesigner, and I try to generate the ui.h
> > > file, I get the "editor couldn't be loaded" error. My qt-library is not
> > > build statically, so that's not the problem. I do have libcppeditor
> > > installed and the plugin path is set up correctly.
> > > I'm using SuSe 9.3 and KDE 3.4.3 Level "b". Please help, this is my
> > > last resort.
> >
> > Hmm, not 100% sure I know what you're asking, but a couple of points:
> >
> > 1) a better list for this is probably kdevelop@kdevelop.org
> > 2) even better, join us in irc at #kdevelop on irc.kde.org
> >
> > header files are generated from .ui files by Qt's "uic", which should be
> > invoked by your build system if it knows about the .ui file.  I'm not
> > 100% familiar with KDevDesigner, but it sounds like it's trying to load
> > the text editor.  Try opening the .ui file in KDevelop and seeing if you
> > get the same error message.
>
> You're partly wrong. The QT3 Designer (and therefor als kdevdesigner)
> allows is to implement the slots in a file calles blah.ui.h, which gets
> included from the generated blah.ui.cpp. This way it's possible to have
> a ui+ui.h with all the code needed for a widget and thus no subclassing
> is necessary. So it seems that kdevdesigner really has the problem of
>
> Andreas
>
> PS: @Bram you can always use subclassing to provide the slot
> implementation. This gives you more freedom in implementing the logic of
> the widget and it's the way to go for new QT4 anyway.

Oh great!
That must be the best news in three days :)
I really thought the "extending" approach was going to be the de facto
standard for QT4. Actually, that's the reason I wanted it to work in the
first place.
While I'm at it, I find it a difficult time to develop a new application.
First of all, the QT4 libs were installed on my system, which caused me a
headache because qmake pointed to qmake4, and I needed the qmake3. Then I
include the wrong includepath (/usr/include/QTCore etc) instead
of /usr/lib/qt/include. Now, I'm in doubt whether I should code in qt4, wait
a little bit and port it to KDE, or the other way around.

Can somebody clarify this for me?

b.