List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: need this in KDE mime magic file
From:       Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-10-27 9:22:26

Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2005 10:41 schrieb Dirk Mueller:
> On Thursday 27 October 2005 09:18, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > But for showing CR2 metatags I need this MIME magic defined
> > _before_ TIFF and I dont want to copy a new central file as
> > of a small kfile_plugin distribution.
>
> That is sensible. can you send me an example file so that I can
> have a look and commit your patch if I come to the same
> conclusion?
>
> Thanks in advance,

These files are really large so better download from digiKams RAW
image database:
http://digikamplugins.free.fr/RAWFILESDATABASE/

You can bunzip
http://digikamplugins.free.fr/RAWFILESDATABASE/CANON-EOS20D.CR2.bz2
or
http://digikamplugins.free.fr/RAWFILESDATABASE/CANON-EOS350D.CR2.bz2

If you take a look at
http://www.ee.cooper.edu/courses/course_pages/past_courses/EE458/TIFF/tiff1.gif
you see, that DWORD at address 0x08 in Canon CR2 is unreferenced
according to TIFF specs. So the question is, can a 'legal' TIFF
have 16 bit DE tag 'CR' =0x5243?

Specs says:
"The numeric value of the tag indicates which image parameter is
contained in the DE. Tag values between zero and 32,767 are
reserved for use by TIFF public fields, while tags 32,768 to
65,535 are reserved for private fields. Private fields must be
allocated by Aldus and/or Microsoft to prevent different software
vendors from using the same tags in different ways."

So this is a public TAG according to TIFF. If you take a look into
App A of
http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/en/tiff/TIFF6.pdf
you see there is no such tag definded. So IMHO it is save to add
this mimetype magic :-)

HTH

  Thorsten