List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: need this in KDE mime magic file
From:       Thorsten Schnebeck <thorsten.schnebeck () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-10-27 7:18:40

Am Donnerstag 27 Oktober 2005 03:55 schrieb Brad Hards:
> On Thursday 27 October 2005 08:07 am, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > +# CR2 (Canon RAW, a modification of TIFF)
> > +0       string          II\x2a\x00
> > +>8      string         CR\x02          image/x-raw
>
> That is really little endian TIFF. Any feeling for false
> positives?

Yeah, I know its TIFF - but ask Canon. But AFAIK the second line
is really unique and not part of a standard TIFF. Today there is
already a (wrong!) CR2 magic as part of
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/KDE/3.5/kdegraphics/kfile-plugins/raw/x-image-raw.magic?rev=438982&view=markup
 But this file is installed in share/config/magic/ and so it does
not take part in the MIME magic game. By now every CR2 file is
handled as TIFF and shows a wrong file size and only
uninteresting meta tags. I have witten a new 'kfile_rawimage' and
'rawimagethumbnail' plug-in that shows for photographers the
interesting stuff. Please look at
http://forum.ebv4linux.de/viewtopic.php?p=4586#4586

But for showing CR2 metatags I need this MIME magic defined
_before_ TIFF and I dont want to copy a new central file as of a
small kfile_plugin distribution.

Bye

  Thorsten