List:       kde-devel
Subject:    kio- loacte 0.4.4 - Support for remote server - Suggestion
From:       Ferdinand Gassauer <gassauer () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-21 14:12:11

Am Freitag, 21. Oktober 2005 11:05 schrieben Sie:
> Hallo,
>
> > well I thought it couldn't be to difficult to allow kio-locate to execute
> > locate on the remote server like
> > locate: .bz2
> > to be transformed into
> > locate:username@server:port .bz2
> > transformed into
> > ssh -X gass@sw-ssh -p 22001 locate .bz2
> >
> > and to allow the results to be accessed via sftp or fish
>
> ok, I see your point. Is this last command line you mention a working
> example for you?
Yes (the -X is not necessary though),
IMHO the possibilities would be

remote (similar to sftp)
locate://username@server:port .bz2
locate://server:port .bz2
locate://username@server .bz2
locate://server .bz2

local
locate:.bz2

> I have no experience with such use of ssh and the like,
> but this might be really possible to implement.
> What kind of syntax would you propose for such a feature? I don't really
> think your example "locate:username@server:port pattern" is the way to go,
> because you can't ommit username and port for "locate:server pattern" would
> be ambiguous.
if the sugestion above is used the command
locate://username@server:port
could be easyly replaced with
sftp://username@server:port <filename/dirname>
or