List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFile plugins
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-10-16 15:43:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Egon Willighagen wrote:
>> It uses Magic only when the file type cannot be guessed from the file
>> name pattern
>
>Mmmm...
>
>> (not just the suffix, mind you).
>
>Interesting statement... How would 'bla.h' help?

Example: static libraries are lib*.a; shared libraries are detected by
magic.

>> So a file ending in .h will be assumed to be a C header always.
>
>What if some other program uses this extension too? I don't know other
> mime types that use *.h, but have seen other clashes... (think of .log)

We apply the highlander principle: there can be only one. So, all *.log
are of one type if text/x-log defines Patterns=*.log

>extension -> mime type is not the option KDE (4.0) should aim at... IMHO

Not an option. It will do that.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358

1. On frumscafte, hwonne time_t wæs náht, se scieppend þone circolwyrde
wundorcræftlíge cennede and seo eorðe wæs idel and hit wæs gód.