List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KFile plugins
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2005-10-16 12:25:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 16 October 2005 13:11, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> Egon Willighagen wrote:
> > On Sunday 16 October 2005 00:49, Luciano Montanaro wrote:
> >> By the way, currently, all my mime types rely on the extension to
> >> recognize the file content. This is not satisfactory, since, for
> >> example, many z-machine games have a ".dat" extension, which is too
> >> generic to be useful. So I would prefer using the magic file, but my
> >> experiments in that direction do not seem to work. Do I have to specify
> >> anything particular in the mimetype.desktop file to trigger file
> >> examination?
> >
> > Does KDE use this mechanism at all?
>
> Sure it does, otherwise it wouldn't be able to recognize files without
> extension. But AFAIK the magic is not meant to be extended:
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/kdeqt/kde3arch/mime.html

I think I have read this document, but in some way, I managed to miss the
section on the magic file. Just to be sure, it means that only files without
an extension (or with an unrecognized extension) are scanned to recognize
their mime type.

The problem is that there is a number of file types which have a generic
extension, like "iff" or "ogg" for iff files and ogg (vorbis or theora)
files, which could be bound in general to quite different types of
applications.

So maybe there should be a way for a mimetype .desktop file to ask for the
file to be scanned explicitely.

Luciano

--
Luciano Montanaro //