List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: knetd, kvnpc, kwifi ....... ???
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <jbaptiste () cable ! net ! co>
Date:       2005-10-14 22:24:56

>I started working on the gui this morning, I'm attaching the very first draft.

Ok, at last I had some time to see your draft. I don't think there's a
need to create a new GUI. KNetworkConf has a good one as you also said,
it needs a little bit of work with the wireless settings, but the
interface in this respect is like it is now mainly beacuse of the
supported wireless settings from system-tools-backends network backend.
So in the GUI front, on what we have to work is in the things that
aren't done yet, like improving wireless stuff (after inproving thje
backend), merging KNemo's configuration (traffic monitoring, command
excecution, etc), automatic switching of networks, etc. But the real
work is under the hood, we need to create a backend that:

* Uses KNetworkConf code to configure network settings that is
multiplatform (between UNIXes of course).
* Uses KNemo code to monitor interface state and network traffic.
* Uses HAL and DBUS to know about new network hardware so we can
configure it and communicate between components.
* Can choose the best connection available as you said (change between
wired and wireless automatically).
* Isn't intrusive with the user when configuring the network settings or
switching between interfaces as you said, possibly with the setuid
binary, but I still aren't convinced that's the best approach, I think
using something like sudo or maybe using kwallet to store root's
password would be a better idea.

After I fix some bugs I have pending with KNetworkConf I can start
working on having isolated all the backend stuff, which it's almost like
that, but there're a couple of details to finish, so it can be used by
anyother app.

Cheers,
Juan Luis Baptiste