List:       kde-devel
Subject:    My 2 cents on the future L&F of KDE4
From:       Kleag <kleag () free ! fr>
Date:       2005-10-13 19:55:22

Hello all,

Since some weeks I read a lot of blogs (from KDE developpers or usability team
people) about KDE being currently bloated, having too much features in menus
or toolbars and even being "unusable" !

I'm not a KDE.org developper. I just submitted a few patches and a few wishes
or bug reports. But I'm a KDE user since KDE 1.0 and I made two little apps.
Since years, I was impatiently waiting the new versions of KDE to discover
the new revolutionary features, as little as the button emptying the URL
entry of Konqueror or the presence of the zoom in and out buttons, the
automagically appearing close buttons on tabs, etc.

KDE is full of so great features available with just one click one one
keypress. Every day I discover a new great little thing. I use Kdevelop all
the day at work or at home and having all these tools and panel just here
(but removable if I want), even if I don't use them every time, is very very
useful.

So, maybe is there really usability questions for beginners. Being a computer
scientists probably help me, but I also think that this is these visible
features and little tools that make the difference with M$ desktop and apps
(I don't know MacOS enough to comment). New users can use KDE exactly as they
would use other desktops. Those able to try and learn can find quickly new
ways of working with the desktop.

So, please, keep this comment in mind before removing things from the desktop.
I don't want to find a new KDE desktop so poor and sparse as the windows one
or even the Gnome one (note that I know only the Gnome 1.x series...).

Bye ! And continue the great 7 (?) years old work !

Gaël (aka Kleag)

--
KsirK - a turn-based strategy game for KDE
http://gna.org/projects/ksirk

KGraphViewer - a GraphViz dot graphs viewer
http://gna.org/projects/kgraphviewer