On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Andreas Pakulat wrote: > > You might be able to help at > > small projects, with just a few hundreds or some thousand lines of code, > > but anything as big as koffice, kdevelop, quanta and so on really needs > > experienced developers. I'd also disagree with this. On Wednesday 12 Oct 2005 23:07, Boudewijn Rempt wrote: > Look at me... Didn't know C++, didn't know C -- I was just a Visual Basic > hacker who had gotten uppity through working with Java. And I found this > app, it didn't do much anything yet, but well, it couldn't be hard, Likewise, with the exception of fixing a single bug in Kopete, KOffice was my first venture into Qt or KDE development. And I would have described myself as "reasonably comfortable with C++ [but] pretty new to qt and the kde-libs" too. For example, for writing a database driver, or spreadsheet plugin or whatever, or presumably a filter, you simply don't need to understand the entire application before you start coding: there are still parts of Kexi that I haven't ventured into. (My first KOffice contributions were writing API docs and rewriting the Kexi MySQL driver) > The important thing is: not being afraid to ask stupid questions, > not being afraid of looking stupid, not being afraid to write stupid, > code that works. For that reason, I really like the "Most embarrassing moment" question in the more recent "People Behind KDE interviews": http://www.kde.nl/people/ - nice to hear that some of the more well-known KDE hackers have done some silly things too! :o) Martin >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscribe <<