List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: knetd, kvnpc, kwifi ....... ???
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <jbaptiste () cable ! net ! co>
Date:       2005-10-12 17:05:41

>>I don't fully agree with this. As it's a good idea to not have to enter
>>root's password to configure your network, most of the times the setuid
>>programs bring security problems. I think this is better handled by
>>configuring the system with sudo to handle this task.
>>

>Without setuid the scenerio will be as follows:
>- unplug network cable
>- request password from the user upon unplugging
>- if user is late to enter the password connection will be broke
>
>To put it in anotherway, to make things automatic setuid is mandatory.

I don't understand why root's password would be needed upon unplugging
the network cable? if I unplug my cable the network goes off and in the
moment I plug it back in automatically the network is enabled again.
Ifplugd is the one doing this and runs as root. Do you mean to be able
to change automatically from the wired to the wireless network? if yes,
then you are probably right, but couldn't this be automated with sudo?

>>I'll have to take a look at KNemo's code to find out how he does this,
>>but maybe it's faster if you ask it's author. A wild guess here:  do you
>>have you running ifplugd? (I have) as this tool is for detecting link
>>status of a network card, if the link is down ifplulgd brings down the
>>interface and bring it back up right when the cable is plugged in. Maybe
>>KNemo just have to monitor the network card state with ifconfig to know
>>if the interfaces up or down and leaves the link detection to ifplugd.
>>

>Exactly.
>
>I started working on the gui this morning, I'm attaching the very first draft.

I'll take a look at it later and let you know what I think.

Cheers,

Juan Luis Baptiste