List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: knetd, kvnpc, kwifi ....... ???
From:       Engin AYDOGAN <engin () bzzzt ! biz>
Date:       2005-10-12 4:35:13

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 06:34, Juan Luis Baptiste wrote:

> KNemo already does this, and very well, why another app to do the same?
> KNemo is a kded module, so it starts automatically when you start your
> session, and you can specify to it commands to run when an interface state
> changes, as someone was asking earlier on the thread.
>
> Have you tried it yet? I have also started working a little bit on
> integrating both projects, but haven't had much time to work on that
> recently.
Yep, I have tried it. It was a nice application but I couldn't see such a
feature when 'Ive tried it, you mean you can do that with notifications ?

Anyway, I believe an application should be used for it's purpose. KNemo is
supposed to monitor traffic not manage network interfaces. I've seriosly
considered using knemo as a base or not. I decided not to, I might be wrong
anyway.

And, is it just me or knemo using too much forking ? It could have receive
those traffic information in a much much much more cost effective way.

> Also, are you aware that network configuration is complitely different in
> most distros (without taking into account other UNIX'es) so you would have
> to write support for each of them, that's if you plan to respect the
> standard network configuration files of each one of the platforms, or are
> you planning to store this settings away in your own application?
I'm planning to develop a scripting language using KJSEmbed as Aaron
suggested. This scripting language will provide an interface for setuid apps
commands. So for each platforms scripts could be written ans saved. After
they've proved to be working they could be included in the distribution.
That's to say; each distribution will select it's own script and it'll do
things in necessary order with unlimited custimization.

> KNetworkConf already supports more than 15 platforms and works with the
> native network configuration files of each one of them. This is
That's why I thought your experience could be of help.

> accomplished by using a network backend that is part of freedesktop.org and
> is also used by GNOME tools. Look for system-tools-backends in
> freedesktop.org
Yes, I wanto to use HAL. I would have done so if there was some KDE
integration already done.

> What I think would be the best solution to all of this is to work into
> merging KNemo, KNetworkConf, Kwifi, etc into one whole app instead of
> starting a new one that will do the same things that all this tools do
> separately. This applications are already very mature, stable and work very
> well, they just need to work together, why a new one to do the same?
I still don't find knemo fitting in configuration purposes.

--
Best regards,

Engin AYDOGAN