List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: knetd, kvnpc, kwifi ....... ???
From:       Juan Luis Baptiste <juan.baptiste () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-10-12 3:34:39

On Tue 11 Oct 2005 22:00, Engin AYDOGAN wrote:
> Ok, first of all, we got it, it's your project. You don't need to post it
> three times ;)

Sorry, I came late to the discussion, so I started answering everything I
saw :)

> I liked the interface, it seems mature and easy on eye. But we don't just
> need a network configuration tool. We need something more usefull. I've
> started a project knetd which monitors network interfaces. Say, it
> understands whenever a network interface is plugged in, or network cable is
> off, or if it's associated with an wireless AP. I'm atm re-writing a sane
> suid application which we can modify the interface through it.

KNemo already does this, and very well, why another app to do the same? KNemo
is a kded module, so it starts automatically when you start your session, and
you can specify to it commands to run when an interface state changes, as
someone was asking earlier on the thread.

Have you tried it yet? I have also started working a little bit on integrating
both projects, but haven't had much time to work on that recently.

> My point is, with your experience on this subject, we might want to port
> your user interface to use a well maintained set-uid appliction and provide
> a sane DCOP interface so that we can modify the network interfaces via it.
> A set-uid application will do;
> * let allowed users to change network interfaces without a root passwod
> * since it won't require password network interfaces would be configurable
> on-the-fly without needing users interaction.
>
> With these on mind, we can build a daemon which monitors network interfaces
> and configures them as necessary. That's to say, if network cable is down
> try to establish an wireless connection.

Also, are you aware that network configuration is complitely different in most
distros (without taking into account other UNIX'es) so you would have to
write support for each of them, that's if you plan to respect the standard
network configuration files of each one of the platforms, or are you planning
to store this settings away in your own application?

KNetworkConf already supports more than 15 platforms and works with the native
network configuration files of each one of them. This is accomplished by
using a network backend that is part of freedesktop.org and is also used by
GNOME tools. Look for system-tools-backends in freedesktop.org

What I think would be the best solution to all of this is to work into merging
KNemo, KNetworkConf, Kwifi, etc into one whole app instead of starting a new
one that will do the same things that all this tools do separately. This
applications are already very mature, stable and work very well, they just
need to work together, why a new one to do the same?

Cheers,
--
Juan Luis Baptiste
http://www.merlinux.org