List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: knetd, kvnpc, kwifi ....... ???
From:       Frank Osterfeld <frank.osterfeld () gmx ! de>
Date:       2005-10-10 12:40:42

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 09 October 2005 22:27, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> i really don't think we should consider shipping such a set of applications
> in KDE4 (the next release which would see new apps bundled with it), but we
> really do need such a tool. is it at all possible for, and desirable on the
> part of those working on these different pieces, to come together and work
> on a single, comprehensive network tool that is usable and well integrated?

I agree, network setup, kppp for dial-up, wifi frontends for WLAN, and kvpnc
for VPN should actually merged in one tool, allowing all kinds of network
profiles and convenient switching between them. But can KDE cover all this or
are there parts better left to the distributors? Can we make it work for all
operating systems and distributions KDE4 will run on?

> a "kde network presence" project would be an excellent and highly valuable
> project to include in kde4 that would be large enough to comfortably fit a
> few people. the division of tasks would even be pretty clear as each author
> is working on different parts of the puzzle already.

For KVpnc, I'd suggest to refactor the code and move the UI-independent part
to some lib[k]vpn, which could be used by both kvpnc frontend and the KDE4
network manager then.
And the details of different VPN implementations could be hidden behind some
nice abstract interface. It seems right now there is a lot of code duplicated
for each VPN client, thrown together in kvpnc.cpp.

Frank