List:       kde-devel
Subject:    konqueror url history and local files
From:       Fred Schaettgen <kde.sch () ttgen ! net>
Date:       2005-10-07 22:25:57

Hi,

Can anybody tell me the reasoning for what is added to konqueror's url
completion history and what not?
konqueror seems to ignore local files, unless they are html-files. So
completion works for local html documents, but not for other files. This
looks pretty inconsistent to me. Who decided that url completion only makes
sense for html files and not for pdfs for instance? They can contain links
too, just in case that it matters.

I stumbled over this because I wanted to write a sidebar plugin a while ago
that shows recently visited folders (especially local ones).
Unlike the current history plugin, I want to display recently visited folders
as a regular filesystem hierarchy, ordered alphabetically just like the
normal filesystem tree view. But the tree should be completely expanded and
contain just as many of the most recent folders so that no scrolling is
necessary.
I hope that this is more efficient than the normal filesystem sidebar, because
it keeps the relevant (recently or most often visited) folders together
tightly and you never have to scroll in the sidebar or expand items. And the
folders which are not yet in the list are still reachable through the main
directory view.

Anyway, konqueror's history manager doesn't seem to record local folders and
if I let the plugin monitor the visited urls itself, I miss all urls which
are visited while the sidebar plugin is not in use. Is there any way to do
that besides waiting for KDE4?

thanks
Fred

--