List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Running KDE 4 programs in a KDE 3 session
From:       Alejandro Exojo <suy () kurly ! org>
Date:       2005-09-13 9:52:15

El Jueves, 8 de Septiembre de 2005 15:23, Stephan Kulow escribió:
> Am Donnerstag, 8. September 2005 15:06 schrieb Vladimir Prus:
> > In my experience with running KDE 3.5 apps inside KDE 3.3 session, it's
> > also necessary to
> >
> >      export KDESYCOCA=<kde3.5-specific-dir>/sycoca
> >      kbuildsycoca
> >
> > Otherwise, I get errors about old format of sycoca database, and 3.5
> > KDevelop can't find its plugins, and generally nothing works. Is this
> > indeed required, or I'm doing something wrong?
>
> That's what the combination of KDEVARTMP and $KDEHOME do actually

[Sorry for replying a bit late. ]

So KDESYCOCA isn't needed? Then can someone point me what's wrong with this:

$ cat environment.sh
#!/bin/sh

PREFIXDIR=$HOME/local/kde

#export QTDIR=$PREFIXDIR
export KDEDIR="$PREFIXDIR"
export KDEDIRS="$PREFIXDIR":"$KDEDIRS"
export KDEHOME="$HOME/.kde-head"

export KDETMP=/tmp/kdehead-$USER
mkdir -p $KDETMP
export KDEVARTMP=/var/tmp/kdehead-$USER
mkdir -p $KDEVARTMP
#export KDESYCOCA=$KDEVARTMP/ksycoca

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$KDEDIR/lib"
export PATH="$KDEDIR/bin":"$PATH"

Without uncommenting the KDESYCOCA line, kbuildsycoca overwrites the "stable"
version:

$ kbuildsycoca
kbuildsycoca running...
kio (KSycoca): Trying to open ksycoca from /var/tmp/kdecache-alex/ksycoca
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 79, expecting version 92 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 79, expecting version 92 or higher.
kbuildsycoca: Recreating ksycoca file (/var/tmp/kdecache-alex/ksycoca, version
92)

In my case I'm running the distribution's KDE 3.4, and in $HOME/local/kde I
have installed KDE 3.5.

Greetings.

--
Alex (a.k.a. suy) - GPG ID 0x0B8B0BC2