List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Running KDE 4 programs in a KDE 3 session
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2005-09-05 11:15:08

Hi,

I'm having trouble running KDE 4 programs in a KDE 3 session, which I think
should be possible.

The problem is that when KDE 4 programs starts up, they naturally load the KDE
4 session(KSysoca runs, DCOP server starts, etc) and this crashes with the
pre-existing KDE 3 session. For example, Konqueror fails to contact
KLauncher, KMail can't start the kioslaves, etc. Judging from console output
it looks different KSycoca programs fights on updating the database, which
could then be the explanation to why the KDE 4 program after a while fails to
run(it load files).

What I find strange, is that I shouldn't encounter this, because I've set the
KDETMP and KDEHOME environment variables to something different, in the
konsole session I run the KDE 4 program from.

Someone perhaps knows how I can run KDE 4 programs in a KDE 3 session without
trouble?

(LD_LIBRARY_PATH was used to make the kde 4 program locate the kde 4
libraries.)

Cheers,

		Frans