List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The Desktop is The Application
From:       Michal Vaner - Vorner <michal.vaner () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2005-09-04 15:53:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 04 of September 2005 17:25, Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> On Saturday 03 September 2005 23:34, Michal Vaner - Vorner wrote:
> > I hope such thing will at last run at separate process - I would not like
> > if such "small" monster that would do all the tasks anyone would thing of
> > would take down the whole system with it on a bug.
>
> Depends how plasmoids are going to be handled. I think Mr. Seigo would be a
> better person to answer that question. And does the whole system go down
> when Konqueror crashes? Or Kopete? Why do you think things would be
> different in this case?

Well, if it is a separate application, then OK, but it can not be a plugin..

> > You know, this is UNIX, right? One of the main idea of UNIX is that
> > programs does as few tasks as possible and does it well. I do not like an
> > application for "everything" at all.
>
> *cough*Konqueror*cough*. By your argument, the core-app of KDE is a very
> un-UNIX app, yet people don't see it as a problem.
>
> I believe the "UNIX-way" is to have several smaller programs working in
> concert. I fail to see why this plasmoid would go against that idea. It's
> filemanagement could use KDE's filemanagement-stuff, it's web-browser could
> use KHTML etc. etc.

Well, I was against that idea that the plasmoid would do all the common tasks.
I'm quite OK with the idea of having one for writing an E-mail. Actually, I
would prefer to be able to have several small ones, every one doing its job.

> > If you want to just type a shor message try echo "message" | sendmail
> > <address>..
>
> Um, the idea was to provide quick and easy to use tool for everyday tasks.
> I fail to see what is "easy" or "quick" in that proposal. First you have to
> have a CLI running. Then you need to type arcane commands (for regular
> users at least) in it. And I thought KDE is a GUI? What's with using the
> CLI as a crutch?
>
> So instead of having a plasmoid the user could use, the use woul ahve to
> launch Konsole, and then type messages in to it. Well, if we expect users
> to launch Konsole and type arcane commands in to it, why not expect him to
> launch Kmail instead? No, using CLI for quick emails is NOT the answer
> regular users are looking for. It might be suitable for Linux-guru's, but
> not mere mortals. Instead of thinking like a power-user, try to think like
> a newbie.

This was just a joke, of course.
Byt, by the way, it _is_ faster for me, as I'm running an xterm instead of
desktop - I just have to click to the desktop or switch to emty one. But I
know you can not tell a normal user to do so.

But thinking as a newbie, I would be glat to launch KMail and see all the help
and so around. I do not know if a newbie can configure all the plasmoid
things and so. I guess you have to at last select some of them there and say
it should be used. Allright, but as I know newbies, they are afraid to change
the desktop image - "And what if I do it wrong, can not something happen?"

Maybe I got it wrong, but that thing that you want to orient KDE on tasks, not
apps made me write this. I just got that idea you want to write some gigantic
thing that could do all the common tasks from writing an email to formating
your hard drive and recompiling kernel. If you mean to do it as one
application does only one, or few similar tasks, I'm not against..

--

Windows are like... windows. Shiny, fragile, expensive.

Michal Vaner (Vorner)