List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: The Desktop is The Application
From:       Janne Ojaniemi <janne.ojaniemi () nbl ! fi>
Date:       2005-09-03 17:55:09

On Saturday 03 September 2005 16:40, Jakob Petsovits wrote:
> Well, not really. Users don't need to manage their karambas because they
> are
> small and therefore don't overlap each other. What you want is a
> fullscreen
> kind of thing

I do? What makes you think that these plasmoids would be fullscreen thingies?
Maybe the phrease "desktop is the application" made you think that. By that I
mean that since plasmoids (AKA superkaramba) will be made integral part of
the  desktop, they ARE the desktop in a sense. But they do not have to be
full-screen thingies. And they wouldn't be that in this case. I would
guesstimate that these plasmoids would take about quarter of the screen at
1280x1024.

> , and as soon as there are more of these running at the same
> time, you need to switch between them, which is at least task management.

Just because the user could have more than one of these running, does not mean
that he should have more than one running. The aim is to provide the user
with a quick and simple way to do his tasks. By having several of them
running, the process becomes more complex. Of course we shouldn't tell user
that they are not allowed to do it.

But still, I don't know what kind of "management" you are referring to here.
Well, maybe selecting the relevant plasmoid to use. But you couldn't minimize
them as such, since they are part of the desktop.

The goal of my proposal is pretty simple: Instead of expecting the user to
launch separate apps, and use those apps to carry out his tasks, we would
empower them to carry out those tasks with a lot less fuzz. Instead of
helping users run applications, we would be helping them in carrying out
their tasks. Instead of being application-centric, KDE could be task-centric.
I'm not sure that am I making any sense here :).

> But of course, you're right when you say that fullscreen apps/plasmoids
> don't
> need no window management, just because they're fullscreen ;-)

These wouldn't be fullscreen thingies. Of course the user could run it as a
full-screen thing, but by default it would only take a portion of the screen.