List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Building KDE4 on SuSE 9.3?
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-09-03 0:19:04

On Friday 02 September 2005 18:48, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> First, let me ask if there is a good way of determining the buildability
> status of the tree.  With Mozilla, I have a little icon in the browser that
> tells me the tree is broken.  They also have a shop with dedicated boxes
> constantly running builds against the tree.  That may not be possible with
> the KDE. It /is/, however, nice to know when, and if I'm wasting my time by
> trying to build a broken tree.
>
> Now let me ask: is this is the right mailing list to be on if I'm
> interested in building KDE4?
>
> Should I even be trying to build KDE4 at this point?  I'm mostly interested
> in working with KDevelop 4.  I've been trying to build what's represented
> in the following kdesvn-builrc:

since you're working with kdevelop 4, it's better if you use the
kdelibs4_snapshot from branches work. so instead of checking out
"trunk/KDE/kdelibs" check out "branches/work/kdelibs4_snapshot" instead.
kdelibs especially is in a huge state of flux due to akademy and the
implementation of a bunch of great changes to things like the build system,
etc.

> global
>         binpath /bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
>         source-dir /download/org/kde/source
>         build-dir /download/org/kde/build
>         qtdir ~/opt/com/trolltech/qt-4-snapshot # from qt rsync
>         kdedir ~/opt/kde4
>         set-env LDFLAGS -Wl,-O1   # Optimize the linker, takes longer.
for a debug build, i wouldn't use this, and it probably makes your compile
longer
>         unsermake-options --compile-jobs=2 -p
> end global
>
> module kdelibs
>         configure-flags --enable-sendfile --enable-mitshm

those --enable flags are autodeteted and not needed

> end module
>
> module kdebase
>         configure-flags --with-shadow

same as above

> end module
>
> module kdesdk
> end module
>
> module kdevelop
>         use-unsermake
> end module
>
> ##########################
>
> I'm not using qt-copy because I had problems with KDE3.5 svn when I tried
> using the one in the 3.5 tree.  Should I be using it?  Dose anybody know
> how to get this to work with the SuSE provided Qt from the supplementary
> ftp directory?  I'm told by the configure script that I don't have Qt4, but
> I believe Qt4 is hidden somewhere in the SuSE rpms.  I just don't know how
> to get it to work.

qt-copy from trunk is qt4 now, so you can still use qt-copy from trunk for KDE
4.

hope this helps.
--
Matt