List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Problems building kde
From:       Theo Spears <theo () theos ! me ! uk>
Date:       2005-08-31 23:06:34

Hello All

Building KDE 3.5 branch from scratch on a fairly new debian sid box I ran into
a few problems. Google showed me a few other people with the same problems
but no solution, so I looked into it. No patch I'm afraid, my automake-fu is
weak.

Source: KDE 3.5 Branch SVN
Build Tool: kdesvn-build
Full KDE installed from debs.
kdesvn-build set to install kdelibs to a subdirectory of $HOME

kdelibs will build happily without libbz2-dev installed and just a configure
warning about the help ioslave. If you do this then meinproc (in kdoctools)
is not built and a number of resource files (i.e. kde-man.xsl) are not
installed.
Once kdelibs is built I compile kdebase. Now, as meinproc is installed on the
system the configure checks for it in kdebase passes, however the build
system then expects the resource files to be in the chosen install dir (i.e.
$HOME/install) which as the version of kdelibs there does not have meinproc
does not contain them. The build thus falls over.

Proposed solution: Install the resource files for meinproc whether or not
meinproc is being built.

A second problem is that meinproc depends on xmllint being present and in
spite of the configure check will fail if it is not found.

Theo Spears