List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: arts is Constantly/Repeatedly crashing
From:       "Steven P. Ulrick" <lists () afolkey2 ! net>
Date:       2005-08-29 10:34:31

On Sunday 28 August 2005 21:31, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday 28 August 2005 21:19, Steven P. Ulrick wrote:
> > Hello, Everyone
> > Now I'm going to go into a non-graphical mode and update, compile and
> > install arts, kdelibs and kdemultimedia.  Otherwise, I will not be able
> > to use my system.  Hopefully, the default FC3 KDE will not have this
> > problem. Otherwise, I'll have to use Gnome until I get this fixed.
> > If you need any more information, I will be glad to oblige.
> >
> > Steven P. Ulrick
>
> I've experienced this before, and it was due to a C++ std library
> incompatibility following a gcc upgrade.
>
> In my case I worked around it by disabling aRts output in the KDE
> Notification system (KControl/System Notifications/Player Settings), and
> then I downgraded gcc and recompiled arts and friends to get things working
> again.
>
> The basic issue is that artsd is crashing.  If you can figure out why (e.g.
> pulling in the wrong libstdc++, or anything with a working gdb backtrace)
> that would be helpful.  Once you get it to stop trying to automatically
> start, you could probably run it from a Konsole or under gdb to get more
> info.

Hello, Michael
First of all, thank you for your assistance so far :)
Your response reminded me of some things I ought to share:
I never had this problem "This Seriously" before.  This is a fresh install of
Fedora Core 3, with the same official updates applied that were available a
few days ago (I did the reinstall this weekend)  Further, my installation of
KDE from Branch 3.5 is completely fresh:
1. I did "rm -rf /usr/local/kde-svn/" and removed my entire KDE install.
2. Did a compleltey fresh download of all the modules that I compile from in
Branch 3.5:
arts
extragear
kdeaddons
kdeadmin
kdeartwork
kdebase
kdeedu
kdegames
kdegraphics
kdelibs
kdemultimedia
kdenetwork
kdepim
kdesdk
kdesupport
kdetoys
kdeutils
kdewebdev
koffice
playground

I just checked, and Fedora's last gcc update is dated July 27th, well before
my most recent re-install.

Well, I need to get ready to go to work :)

Steven P. Ulrick