List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 3/4 screen kdesktop no-icon zone + solution
From:       Martin Koller <m.koller () surfeu ! at>
Date:       2005-08-27 11:48:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 27 August 2005 02:47, cybernet@interia.pl wrote:
> Since an upgrade to kde 3.4.2 (FC4), icon positions are reset if they
> fall in the following region:
>     - 1/4 width from the right edge of the screen
>     - 1/4 height from the bottom edge of the screen
>
> This is hardcoded in kdiconview.cc (kdesktop) in the "saveIconPosition"
> and "readIconPosition" macros. Since the code seems unchanged since
> revision 1.107 :
>
>     http://webcvs.kde.org/kdebase/kdesktop/kdiconview.cc?rev=1.149&view=log

For 3.5 I recently changed quite some code due to some bugs regarding icons
placement:
BUG: 91575
BUG: 47627
BUG: 103985
BUG: 82341
BUG: 79392
BUG: 105814

You might try this version when it's done.

> Since this is my first post, I would like to report/handle this kind of
> problem in the future. What I did was:
>     - waste too much time trying to figure it out from the client side
>     - spent too much time browsing around 40 (?) icon related bugs
> trying to find the bug
>     - I located the source file in webcvs and the problem remained
>     - I downloaded, patched and tested kdebase-3.4.2.rpm
>     - I wrote this mail

As I'm not the author of the original code, guess how long it took me to fix
all those bugs ;-)

That's the way it is ...

But for these core functionality bugs, you also always get good help on the
kde-devel mailing list.

--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin    ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail

       Some operating systems are called 'user friendly',
             Linux however is 'expert friendly'.