List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Problem building KDE-3.5: KDEGames
From:       Michael Pyne <pynm0001 () unf ! edu>
Date:       2005-08-22 20:14:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 22 August 2005 01:52, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > Or, to make even more sure:
> > 	svn-clean -f; svn revert -R .
> >
> > You'll get your checkout as clean as if you had just checked it out. I'm
> > working on integrating with svn-clean, so expect svn-clean -rf soon.
>
> This is certainly useful as a last resort, but is there any way to
> remove/repair damaged or wrong files which are managed by SVN without
> deleting the build files?

Yes, by using a srcdir != builddir scheme.  It's supported by most modules
(the notable exceptions are qt-copy and kdebindings, although even those can
be faked into doing it).

For example, if you have you arts module in $srcdir/arts, you could build it
in a different directory by doing something along these lines:

$ mkdir $builddir
$ mkdir $builddir/arts
$ cd $builddir/arts
$ $srcdir/arts/configure --configure-options-as-normal
$ make or unsermake as appropriate.

Now you can update your srcdir the livelong day and not worry about losing
your build files.

The only problem is the occasionally someone will b0rk this by using a wrong
Makefile.am that happens to work with srcdir == builddir, but those are the
breaks.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne