List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CPU load control
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2005-08-17 3:24:38

El mar, 09-08-2005 a las 10:35 +0200, Adriaan de Groot escribió:

> Make this configurable. 1 is a silly load average. My machines run at load 1
> or more all day. Interactive response starts to hurt at around a load of 6,
> though. I hate it when arts craps out at a load of 3, it makes waiting for
> compiles to finish all the more boring.

In my opinion, at load average ~ 1 is when the system feels fully
responsive, above that you begin to feel that the system is "not as
responsive as before".

Load at 2, and the system starts to feel like it cannot be used.  Over
here, from 2 up people start to ask "Is the server slow?" (we run a
terminal server, so it's pretty important to keep load low).

(we've seen loads of 60... that's when someone includes a neverending
loop in a PHP page, which queries a database.  At this point, all there
is left is to kick the power button on the server.  But hopefully
everyone using a terminal server is setting per-process memory limits...
which we did only last week  =\  )

It all depends on what level of interactive responsiveness you're
aiming.  An indexing daemon should, IMO, throttle as soon as the system
begins to feel lagging, even if just a bit.  That's why I recommend
loadavg = 1.

--
Manuel Amador                   <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
http://www.amautacorp.com/            +593 (4) 220-7010