List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: dcop question
From:       Luke Sandell <kdedevel () luketopia ! net>
Date:       2005-08-09 9:37:49

On Tuesday, August 9, 2005 5:35 am, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:

> Okay -- I indeed found a reference to the three-argument constructor. But
> I'm having a hard time finding something about using the type() method.

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdelibs-apidocs/dcop/html/classDCOPRef.html#a9

type() just returns the typename that you set in the constructor

> The raise(kisLayerSP layer) is in KisImage; the other one is in
> KisImageIface -- you're right of course about the design, but this is just
> a clear example. There are also things like addLayer(KisPaintDeviceSP dev).
> (Where all SP type are smart pointers wrapped around the original class).

Oh... OK. So they are a sort of reference. Well in any case, you probably
still want to use DCOPRefs for dcop methods because the client can work with
them (e.g. by using DCOPRef::call() ).

> Is there a way, by the way, to send and receive byte arrays in dcop?

um.. pass a QByteArray?

http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/cvs-api/kdelibs-apidocs/dcop/html/classDCOPObject.html#e1

> If I get these things done, I promise I'll do a write up -- building & using
> advanced dcop interfaces. Should be a nice complement to the current set of
> beginner's tutorials.

All the information is there in the apidocs, but tutorials are always nice.

--
Luke Sandell
"Actually, Windows doesn't 'just work' either."