List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CPU load control
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2005-08-09 1:50:55

El lun, 08-08-2005 a las 20:16 +0200, Dirk Mueller escribió:
> On Monday 08 August 2005 20:13, Roberto Cappuccio wrote:
>
> > is there a "standard" way in KDE to let one process run only when the load
> > on a machine is within certain bounds?
>
> No. use ionice.

either use ionice (linux-only) or read /proc/loadavg (i think) and stop
your task as necessary in order to ensure the load does not go above 1.

What's great about the 1-minute loadavg is that it is the most accurate
(or least inaccurate) way of tracking system interactive responsiveness.

I remember I settled on tracking loadavg for the index process in

Manuel Amador                   <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
http://www.amautacorp.com/            +593 (4) 220-7010