List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Autostart desktop entries
From:       Nathan Toone <nathan () toonetown ! com>
Date:       2005-08-05 17:52:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

OK - I've tried to figure this out on my own, and I think that I have done so.
However, it raises a question.

I wanted to make use of the "X-KDE-autostart-condition" entry in a .desktop
file.  However, I found that if the .desktop file is placed in
$KDEHOME/Autostart, this entry is basically ignored.  When the file is placed
in $KDEHOME/share/autostart, it is not ignored.

I finally figured out the difference was that $KDEHOME/share/autostart was
used by kinit, while $KDEHOME/Autostart was used by kdesktop.

OK - everything is good, and I'm up and running how I like - however, one
question remains:

Is there a reason why the entries started by kdesktop don't honor the
X-KDE-autostart-condition setting when it is starting up entries in
$KDEHOME/Autostart?  It caused a lot of confusion for me because I had just
thought that $KDEHOME/Autostart was where all "autostarted" entries went (I
didn't know previously about two different mechanisms of autostarting...)

I think that anything autostarted - whether by kinit or kdesktop should honor
the X-KDE-autostart-* settings.  Only when clicking on (or otherwise
explicitly running) those desktop files should those settings not be read.
In that second case, they are not being "autostarted".

-Nathan